Wednesday 31 December 2008

Church Flowers.


A few months ago an appeal went out for people to volunteer to "do" the church flowers. One or two of the ladies who had been very active had for one reason or another to cut back, ( growing families, advancing years). For some reason, ( my guardian angel has an ironic sense of humour, I sometimes think), I volunteered! I was not the only man. The rota for the new year popped through my door this morning. It now seems that it will be spilt fairly evenly between men and women. I think this could get interesting.


I heard a story recently about days past at the London Oratory. On great feasts, like Christ the King, the sanctuary was crowded with potted plants, mainly ferns and palms, and flowers donated especially for the occasion by parishioners, great and small. At High Mass after the deacon and sub-deacon had assisted the celebrant with the incensing of the altar the sub-deacon came down to incense the clergy attending in choir. Such was the proliferation of foliage that when he had finally located the high ranking prelate he sought he greeted him sotto voce, " Dr. Livingstone I presume".
I will resist the temptation to go over board.

3 comments:

Mulier Fortis said...

ROTFLMHO

Very funny! I suppose there is no record of the prelate's reply?
;-)

the hound said...

No.

the hound said...

All the best to Sylvester.